Thursday, April 26, 2007

Will Sing For Food



Interesting story in today's LA Times about singing--specifically, how the act of singing can cause our body to release feel-good oxytocins, similar to sex or, I imagine, a big pile of Popeye's Chicken.

Now, there's good news and bad news here. I love music--I mean REALLY love music, but I can't sing. Well, not in tune, at least. Kind of a wavering warble, if truth be told. And if I'm standing next to someone who's singing even more off-key, I unconsciously follow the leader and sing even worse.

But if singing relieves stress and causes us to handle stuff better, then we are less prone to stress eating, yes?

The only time I'm alone--ever, these days, which is why I'm so nuts--is in my car. So I'll become one of those wildly gesticulating, ridiculous looking drivers as I sing my way to work and back.

Shuffling my iPod, here's today's 10 tracks at random.

1. Graham Parker--You Can't Be Too Strong
2. Célédé--Road to Lizdonvarna
3. Aaron Neville--Louisiana 1927
4. The Band--The Weight
5. Dave Dudley--Six Days on the Road
6. Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer--41 Thunderer
7. Jethro Tull--A Small Cigar
8. Bob Dylan--Ain't Talkin'
9. Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros--At the Border, Guy
10. 4Him--Be Thou My Vision

Looking at my shuffle list, all I can say is, you gotta admit I'm versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment