Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Try This, Dawlin'

Made up a pot of this GUMBO for dinner last night--I had mine without rice, of course. It was terrific and makes a ton. You could further reduce the carbs with sugar-free tomatoes, which I can't find locally, and using a whole-grain flour. Nutritional data I've calculated (at the end) reflects regular old Del Monte canned tomatoes and (egads) white flour. You also can add shrimp but I didn't.

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 large onion, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 cups chopped smoked sausage (I use Richard's Cajun Mild)
4 large boneless chicken breasts, diced
1 cup cut okra (I used frozen)
28-oz can diced tomatoes w/ liquid
32 oz. chicken broth
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 lg. bay leaves
gumbo file to taste
salt
pepper

Brown 2 Tbsp. flour into melted butter over medium heat in 8-qt stock pot, stirring constantly, until your "roux" is the color of light chocolate--this will take longer than you expect! Stir in onions, garlic and pepper and saute 2-3 minutes. Add sausage, chicken, okra, tomatoes, chicken broth, thyme, cayenne and bay leaves. Simmer for 50 minutes. Stir in file to taste (I like a lot, so I added about 1/4 cup--original recipe only called for 1-2 Tbsp); add salt and pepper to taste. It's supposed to be better on the second day, but it's tres bon, y'all. Nutritional date calculated on 10 servings of about 1-1/2 cup each:

Nutritional info per serving:
357 calories
19 fat
10 carb
3 fiber
35 protein

No comments:

Post a Comment