Tuesday, March 6, 2007

"The Atkins Breakfast"


So I'm out on Saturday, running errands, and stop for lunch at Dot's Diner, a self-consciously cute little restaurant that is diner-like enough that lots of guys in flannel shirts go there for big breakfasts served all day long.

I was more in the grilled chicken mood but as I perused the menu, almost unconsciously ticking off the items with a practiced low-carb eye--sugar, white bread, sugar, potatoes, sugar, sugar, sugar--what, lo and behold, to my wondering eyes should appear but "The Atkins Breakfast."

Yep, there it was in black and white.

Of course, it reinforces everything the general populace imagines Atkins to be. A three-egg omelette with multiple cheeses, with three sides: bacon, ham and sausage. Oink oink oink.

Wish they could have thrown some spinach in the omelette, and some fresh fruit on the side, but maybe that's asking too much. For now, I was happy to see Atkins on the menu--but I still got the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment