Friday, March 16, 2007

Diabetes-Low Fat Diets-Heart Disease: Vicious Circle?


At first glance, this new study from Sweden seems pretty ho-hum. Abnormally high blood sugar has a direct correlation to heart disease. That diabetics are prone to heart disease is nothing new, is it?

So, the answer remains: what to do about the precipitous rise in cases of Type 2 Diabetes that are being diagnosed?

Researcher Par Stattin has the answer: eat less dietary fat.

Hoo boy, here we go again.

Okay, let's say I want to control my blood sugar so I don't get diabetes so I don't, in turn, develop heart disease. I follow the advice of my doctor and the medical experts and cut down on my dietary fat. Gee, I sure am hungry. I can't eat more fat; more protein means more fat; so I guess I'll ratchet up my carb intake. Sugar has no fat; potatoes have no fat; rice has no fat. I'll make up those lost calories with carbs.

Oh, wait! My blood sugar is rising anyway! I'm headed toward diabetes! I'm getting heart disease! What am I doing wrong?

It's a vicious circle, and a wheel of death that just keeps turning. Is it any wonder people can't really tell good fats from fat-headedness?

No comments:

Post a Comment